Re: IRQF_SAMPLE_RANDOM question...

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 04:28:04 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Stephen Hemminger wrote:
The real problem one is xen-netfront. Because 1) it is least random,
the attacker might be another VM 2) the VM is most in need of random
samples because it doesn't have real hardware.

Agreed.

I'm surprised Xen doesn't use virtio-rng. I guess it needs a special Xen paravirt driver for randomness.

Yes, sampling randomness in a PV driver is pretty pointless. We could do the guest end of an entropy sink entirely in usermode, but at present there's no dom0 support for an entropy source.