Re: IRQF_SAMPLE_RANDOM question...

From: Robin Getz
Date: Mon Apr 06 2009 - 15:20:22 EST

On Mon 6 Apr 2009 14:40, Jeff Garzik pondered:
> Robin Getz wrote:
> > Although there was some discussion
> > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/680723
> >
> > about removing IRQF_SAMPLE_RANDOM from the remaining network drivers
> > in May of 2008, but they still appears to be there in 2.6.29.
> >
> > drivers/net/ibmlana.c
> > drivers/net/macb.c
> > drivers/net/3c523.c
> > drivers/net/3c527.c
> > drivers/net/netxen/netxen_nic_main.c
> > drivers/net/cris/eth_v10.c
> > drivers/net/xen-netfront.c
> > drivers/net/atlx/atl1.c
> > drivers/net/qla3xxx.c
> > drivers/net/tg3.c
> > drivers/net/niu.c
> >
> > So what is the plan? If I send a patch to add IRQF_SAMPLE_RANDOM to others
> > (like the Blackfin) networking drivers - will it get rejected?
> >
> > We have lots of embedded headless systems (no keyboard/mouse, no
> > soundcard, no video) systems with *no* sources of entropy - and
> > people using SSL.
> >
> > I didn't really find any docs which describe what should have
> > IRQF_SAMPLE_RANDOM on it or not. I did find Matt Mackall describing it as:
> >> We currently assume that IRQF_SAMPLE_RANDOM means 'this is a completely
> >> trusted unobservable entropy source' which is obviously wrong for
> >> network devices but is right for some other classes of device.
> >
> > Currently - I see most things I see using IRQF_SAMPLE_RANDOM would
> > also fail the "completely unobservable" test. Other than the TRNG that
> > are inside the CPU - what does pass?
>
> IMO it's not observation but rather that a remote host is essentially
> your source of entropy -- which means your source of entropy is
> potentially controllable or influenced by an attacker.

Ok - so if it is "un-influenceable" or more specifically - not remotely
influenceable - that works for me, and says that keyboards, serial devices,
USB, etc -- should be OK - since they are not remote, even if they can be
controlled locally.

You assume that the local user is the root user - as least as far as entropy
goes?

Correct?

> Furthermore, with hardware interrupt mitigation, non-trivial traffic
> levels can imply that interrupts are delivered with timer-based
> regularity. This, too, may clearly be influenced by a remote attacker.
>
> Thus I think IRQF_SAMPLE_RANDOM should be banned from network drivers...
> but that is not a universal opinion.

It didn't seem like there were that many people who disagreed with Chris's
original patch - but there wasn't anyone acking it either...

-Robin