Re: [dm-devel] Barriers still not passing on simple dm devices...

From: Ric Wheeler
Date: Sun Apr 05 2009 - 21:25:10 EST

On 04/05/2009 06:14 PM, Lee Revell wrote:
On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 7:54 AM, Ric Wheeler<ricwheeler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
One thing to point out here is that there are a lot of "servers" in high end
data centers that do not have UPS backup. Those racks full of 1U and 2U
boxes that are used to make "grids", "clouds" and so on often are built with
as much gear as you can stuff in a rack - no batteries or UPS to be seen, so
they are really quite similar to the normal desktop or home systems that we
normally run at home :-)

These days even bargain basement data centers provide UPS functionality for
you, via generator backup and A/B power.

Lee

In my experience, you will see multiple customers with and without UPS backup.

I have certainly dealt personally with many data centers that lost power without them & see array vendors that continue to build in their own batteries...

ric