Re: Should I choose SLOW_WORK?

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Sun Apr 05 2009 - 19:33:28 EST

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> I am newly presented with
>

> > Enable slow work thread pool (SLOW_WORK) [N/y/?] (NEW) ?
> >
> > The slow work thread pool provides a number of dynamically allocated
> > threads that can be used by the kernel to perform operations that
> > take a relatively long time.
> >
> > An example of this would be CacheFiles doing a path lookup followed
> > by a series of mkdirs and a create call, all of which have to touch
> > disk.
>

> However, this does not tell me whether I need or want this.
>
> And, why must the user make this choice at all? Surely it can be
> auto-selected, if cachefs is enabled? At a minimum, hide this under
> CONFIG_EMBEDDED or whatnot, so that most users don't see this choice, IMO.

I very much agree. I was confused by that option as well when I first saw
it and the help text didn't really help much in determining if I wanted it
or not.
If it's something that's generally useful, the kernel should just
enable/use it. If other things depend on it they should auto-select it.

--
Jesper Juhl <jj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> http://www.chaosbits.net/