Re: [Announce] 2.6.29.1-rt4

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Sun Apr 05 2009 - 04:48:37 EST

GeunSik,

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, GeunSik Lim wrote:
> I have one question. What is "broken-out" 's meaning for rt patch file?

The broken out tar ball contains a patch series of smaller patches,
which need to be applied in a give order. The order is determined from
the series file. It's a "quilt" series. quilt is a patch series
management tool. "man script"

We keep those smaller patches for various reasons:

- It's way easier to move forward to the next kernel version with
smaller patches than with a huge all in one patch.

- It's easier to split out functionality from the patches and rework
that particular issue and replace the patches in the series

The broken out series is provided for people who want to look into the
details of the patches and for preempt-rt developers.

patch-2.6.X-rtY.bz2 is the combination of all patches from the series
applied. We provide this as a conveniance for users and testers so
they just have to apply one big patch.

Thanks,

tglx