Re: [GIT PULL] Ext3 latency fixes

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Sun Apr 05 2009 - 00:11:53 EST

On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 03:13:13PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> And yes, anticipatory seems to be quite noticeably better than cfq here.
> With cfq I got a few two-second delays on 'ftruncate()' too (probably
> because of your new serialization code?), and the longest fsync() delay
> was over 7 seconds. That was definitely solidly in the "painful" category.

What is going on with in your "ftruncate()" case? The synchronization
code I added will do call filemap_flush() on close if the file
descriptor had been previously truncated down to zero, either because
it was opened with O_TRUNCATE, or if ftruncate(fd, 0) was explicitly
called. But it won't actually call fsync() or do anything special on
the actual ftrucate() call; it just sets a flag indicating that the
file in question should be flushed on close.

This is to make the right thing happen for applications which try to
edit a file in place via:

fd = open("foo", O_RDWR);
len = read(fd, buf, MAXBUF);
<modify buf>
ftruncate(fd, 0);
write(fd, buf, len);
close(fd);

Otherwise, given the lack of fsync(fd) in the above sequence, a crash
may leave he file "foo" truncated or only partially written out.

- Ted