Re: [GIT PULL] Ext3 latency fixes

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Apr 04 2009 - 18:22:24 EST

On Sat, 4 Apr 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Hmm. I can certainly see a very noticeable improvement.

.. and btw, just to put that into perspective - I ended up running with
that repeated 'dd+sync+rm' in the background for quite a while, and the
machine was in no way unusable. I don't think I saw a single "ooh, that
feels really dead" case with anticipatory, although I saw several "bad
stutter" cases.

Of course, with the whole "overwrite" case, things are really much
smoother, and I can hardly notice anything happening at all. Although I
_do_ get an occasional 200-600ms fsync hickup, and I can tell those very
clearly. But if that was the worst I'd ever see, I'd be a very happy
person. It's a good goal to have, I suspect.

Linus