Re: perf_counter: request for three more sample data options

From: Corey Ashford
Date: Fri Apr 03 2009 - 03:25:51 EST

Thank you for your reply, Peter.

Peter Zijlstra wrote:
On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 18:46 -0700, Corey Ashford wrote:
Currently, perf_counter has the ability to record the following on event counter overflow:

Instruction Pointer
Call chain
Group counter values
Thread id

To give perf_counter similar capabilities to perfmon2's default sampling module, I'd like the following additional sample data to be added.

Time stamp

Rather hard actually, to provide a decent timestamp from NMI context.

CPU number

Could do I guess.

Thread Group Id

As in the process id? PERF_RECORD_TID already provides that.

I'd suggest the following

enum perf_counter_record_format {
PERF_RECORD_IP = 1U << 0,
PERF_RECORD_TID = 1U << 1,
PERF_RECORD_TGID = 1U << 2,
- PERF_RECORD_GROUP = 1U << 2,
+ PERF_RECORD_GROUP = 1U << 3,
- PERF_RECORD_CALLCHAIN = 1U << 3,
+ PERF_RECORD_CALLCHAIN = 1U << 4,
+ PERF_RECORD_CPU_ID = 1U << 5,
+ PERF_RECORD_TIMESTAMP = 1U << 6,
};

And of course the obvious changes to perf_event_type.

I would expect that CPU ID would be 32 bits, and the timestamp to be the 64-bit current time. TGID is the same size as TID.

Right, so PREF_RECORD_TID provides:

{ u32 pid, tid; }

Ah, I didn't know that. Ok, that's only two things I want then :)

PERF_RECORD_TIMESTAMP would provide something like:

{ u64 time; }

Yep.

and per our u64 alignment rule, PERF_RECORD_CPU would provide

{ u64 cpuid; }

unless you can think of anything else to stuff in there?

We could leave the upper 32-bits reserved for now. Perhaps someone later will come up with some nice info to put there.

I am guessing the only difficult thing here would be obtaining the current time from an IRQ, especially NMI handler. Is this difficult?

Yes, quite :-) I'll have to see what we can do there -- we could do a
best effort thing with little to no guarantees I think.

Best effort would be fine, I think. I would assume that means that 99.9% of the time, you'll get a correct timestamp, and the rest are rubbish? Or would there be a way to detect when you're not able to give a correct timestamp and in that case replace the timestamp field with a special sentinel, like all hex f's?

Regards,

- Corey

Corey Ashford
Software Engineer
IBM Linux Technology Center, Linux Toolchain
Beaverton, OR
503-578-3507
cjashfor@xxxxxxxxxx