Re: 2.6.29-git: cannot mount ext4/loop

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Thu Apr 02 2009 - 11:41:48 EST

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 05:18:39PM +0200, Thiemo Nagel wrote:
> Theodore Tso wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 03:30:26PM +0200, Thiemo Nagel wrote:
>>> When I added the block range checks, initially I was assuming that
>>> when EXTENTS_FL is not set, the inode->i_data *always* contains
>>> references to further blocks. Ted showed me wrong and added the condition
>>>
>>> ISREG() || ISDIR() || ( ISLNK() && !is_fast_symlink() )
>>>
>>> before that assumption can be made. But maybe we need some further
>>> restraints?
>>
>> It's a endian-problem; we're missing le32_to_cpu() in that patch.
>> Sparc is big-endian.
>
> Sorry for that.

Could you also fix the types? bref should have a type of __le32, not
unsigned int, and when you pass in the reference to
__ext4_check_blockref(), there was an inappropriate cast to unsigned
int which hid kernel's natural type checking to catch these sorts of
problems.

I haven't had time yet to check your other patches; could you also
take a quick scan to make sure we have all of the byte-swapping calls
needed for proper big-endian checking, that we're using the correct
__le32 types and not doing any casts? I should have caught this when
I did my review of your patches, so this is also partially my fault.

Many thanks,

- Ted