RE: [patch 3/21] x86, bts: wait until traced task has beenscheduled out

From: Metzger, Markus T
Date: Wed Apr 01 2009 - 04:10:45 EST

Hmmm, As far as I understand the code, rt-workqueues use a higher sched_class
and can thus not be preempted by normal threads. Non-rt workqueues
use the fair_sched_class. And schedule_work() uses a non-rt workqueue.

In practice, task is ptraced. It is either stopped or exiting.
I don't expect to loop very often.

>Ingo, do have have any ideas to improve this helper?
>
>Not that I really like it, but how about
>
> int force_unschedule(struct task_struct *p)
> {
> struct rq *rq;
> unsigned long flags;
> int running;
>
> rq = task_rq_lock(p, &flags);
> running = task_running(rq, p);
> task_rq_unlock(rq, &flags);
>
> if (running)
> wake_up_process(rq->migration_thread);
>
> return running;
> }
>
>which should be used instead of task_is_running() ?
>

>We can even do something like
>
> void wait_to_unschedule(struct task_struct *task)
> {
> struct migration_req req;
>
> rq = task_rq_lock(p, &task);
> running = task_running(rq, p);
> if (running) {
> // make sure __migrate_task() will do nothing
> req->dest_cpu = NR_CPUS + 1;
> init_completion(&req->done);
> list_add(&req->list, &rq->migration_queue);
> }
> task_rq_unlock(rq, &flags);
>
> if (running) {
> wake_up_process(rq->migration_thread);
> wait_for_completion(&req.done);
> }
> }
>
>This way we don't poll, and we need only one helper.
>
>(Can't resist, this patch is not bisect friendly, without the next patches
> wait_to_unschedule() is called under write_lock_irq, this is deadlockable).

I know. See the reply to patch 0; I tried to keep the patches small and focused
to simplify the review work and attract reviewers.

thanks and regards,
markus.

Intel GmbH
Dornacher Strasse 1
85622 Feldkirchen/Muenchen Germany
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Douglas Lusk, Peter Gleissner, Hannes Schwaderer
Registergericht: Muenchen HRB 47456 Ust.-IdNr.
VAT Registration No.: DE129385895
Citibank Frankfurt (BLZ 502 109 00) 600119052