Re: [tip:x86/doc] x86/doc: mini-howto for using earlyprintk=dbgp

From: Alan Stern
Date: Fri Mar 06 2009 - 09:58:18 EST

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Daniel Walker wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 15:41 -0800, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>
> > If you have time to make a proposal for all such rules, please go ahead.
> > I don't have time for it just now.
>
> I don't know what kind of rules there are .. The 80 columns thing was
> new to me.

In general, every rule in CodingStyle that _can_ apply to plain text
documents _should_ apply. There aren't very many that _can_ apply,
however. The 80-column rule may be the only one.

> > Yes, some examples, diagrams, samples, etc. are over 80 columns.
> > It's not a diehard rule.
>
> With code it sort of is die hard , even tho the CodingStyle doesn't
> specify it that way.

It is _not_ diehard, at least not according to Linus. He has posted a
couple of messages expressing his opinion that overall readability is
more important than sticking rigidly to 80 columns.

Alan Stern