Re: Elaboration on "Equivalent fix must already exist in Linus' tree"

From: Luis R. Rodriguez
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 02:57:36 EST

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 11:42 PM, <david@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

>>> Who are these "people" that you are trying to convince?
>>
>> OK small silly example is convincing distributions it may be a good
>> idea to carry linux-next kernel packages as options to users to
>> hopefully down the road reduce the delta between what they carry and
>> what is actually upstream.
>
> linux-next is a testing tree for developers, it changes day to day, doesn't
> contain all relavent changes, and is definantly _not_ something that distros
> should be pushing to users.

Why not? Just as people may want to get bleeding edge wireless I don't
see why a user may not want to simply get bleeding edge wireless and
bleeding edge audio, and video. The latest RC series helps but lets
face it there are also a lot of good stuff queued for the -next
releases as well. The way I'm seeing this is if a user has no support
for a device on their system it should look something like this:

Distribution kernel -->
Distribution next stable kernel release (2.6.27 --> 2.6.28) -->
Distribution RC kernel (if one is available) | kernel.org RC kernel -->
Development tree kernel for a specific device -->
Staging

If the have multiple devices which are not yet supported by the latest
RC kernel but on -next then you have little options but I think a
concrete one should exist and it does.

>> Heh.. Maybe I expect too much of people and things.
>
> I think you are misunderstanding linux-next and how it relates to users and
> distros.

Probably if the above is not something a user may not actually want to test.

Luis