Re: [patch] drop epoll max_user_instances and rely only on max_user_watches

From: Michael Kerrisk
Date: Sat Jan 31 2009 - 20:27:11 EST

Hi Davide,

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 7:54 AM, Davide Libenzi <davidel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Michael Kerrisk wrote:
>
>> Since max_user_instances was added in 2.6.28, and this is an ABI
>> change, I suggest this should go into .29-rc, so that
>> max_user_instances spends as little time in the wild as possible.
>
> Agreed, like I already told Andrew. Sorry Michael for the double change to
> the man page :/

So is the right change to the epoll(7) page (see
http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man7/epoll.7.html )
to simply remive the text on max_user_instances:

/proc/sys/fs/epoll/max_user_instances (since Linux 2.6.28)
This specifies an upper limit on the number of epoll
instances that can be created per real user ID.

Or are other changes also required?

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git