Re: marching through all physical memory in software

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Sat Jan 31 2009 - 20:26:14 EST

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > You can also implement software-based ECC using a background scrubber
> > and setting aside pages to store the ECC information. Now, THAT is
> > probably not worth bothering with due to the performance impact, but
> > who knows...
>
> Actually, that would be quite cool. a) I suspect memory in my zaurus
> bitrots and b) bitroting memory over s2ram is apprently quite common.

Well, software-based ECC for s2ram (calculate right before s2ram,
check-and-fix right after waking up) is certainly doable and a LOT
easier than my crazy idea of sofware-based generic ECC (which requires
some sort of trick to detect pages that were written to, so that you
can update their ECC information)...

Henrique Holschuh