Re: PROBLEM: in_atomic() misuse all over the place

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Sat Jan 31 2009 - 00:50:52 EST

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 06:55:08 +0100 Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > There's a bit of a problem here. If someone accidentally uses
> > gfp_any() inside a spinlock, it will do a sleeping allocation on
> > non-preempt kernels and will do an atomic allocation on preemptible
> > kernels, so we won't get to see the warning which would allow us to fix
> > the bug.
>
> Yes exporting the function to drivers is dangerous I agree because
> it's easy to abuse.
>
> > Would using irq_count() work? If so, that would fix this up.
>
> There's nothing that works reliably to detect spinlocks on non
> preempt kernels.

Hang on. You said

That's typically for softirq vs non softirq, which is important for
the network stack.

that's what in_softirq() does.

Now, if networking is indeed using in_atomic() to detect
are-we-inside-a-spinlock then networking is buggy.

If networking is _not_ doing that then we can safely switch it to
in_sortirq() or in_interrupt(). And this would reenable the bug
detection which networking's use of in_atomic() accidentally
suppressed.