Re: libata - anomaly performance with NCQ

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Sat Jan 31 2009 - 00:18:25 EST

Bartosz SKOWRON wrote:
On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 2:07 AM, Robert Hancock <hancockr@xxxxxxx> wrote:

1) cause the title contains "with hdparm"...does it mean that
physically the performance is OK and only hdparm shows something
wrong?
Well, hdparm is a fairly crude benchmark but there's likely at least some
impact in other usage.

It's not an answer for my question. So, should I check with other
benchmarks? I thought that this's issue is investigated and the answer
is common. Do you recommend any "not crude" benchmarks? :)

bonnie++ is one I've used, I'm sure there are others.. Of course, what do you compare the results to..

2) there is an information about upgrading firmware. as far as i know
Seagate doesn't publish firmwares. So the only way is to contact
seagate support, send the hdd and wait for the new one?
I think Seagate can provide firmware updaters for the user to use, but
normally only if you contact support I think.

I will send the email cause there is no phone line for my country.
BTW. upgrade firmware == damage data?

It shouldn't, but some people with the recent 7200.11 drives that did firmware upgrades reported it bricked the drive, so backing up the data first would definitely be a good idea..