Re: libata - anomaly performance with NCQ

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Fri Jan 30 2009 - 20:07:40 EST

Bartosz SKOWRON wrote:
Hi,

here is a problem:
http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Known_issues#Seagate_harddrive_performance_anomaly_with_hdparm

and my disk is affected by this one as well.
it's ST9320421AS and you can add it to the list

And 2 questions:
1) cause the title contains "with hdparm"...does it mean that
physically the performance is OK and only hdparm shows something
wrong?

Well, hdparm is a fairly crude benchmark but there's likely at least some impact in other usage.

2) there is an information about upgrading firmware. as far as i know
Seagate doesn't publish firmwares. So the only way is to contact
seagate support, send the hdd and wait for the new one?

I think Seagate can provide firmware updaters for the user to use, but normally only if you contact support I think.