Re: a question about p4_clockmod module on Xeon quad core processors

From: Michael Tokarev
Date: Thu Jan 29 2009 - 07:27:43 EST

Dave Jones wrote:
[]
> p4-clockmod doesn't change the processor frequency.

Hmm.. But what it really does, then?
I used it one one machine which had a flaky CPU cooler,
to reduce power consumption during hot summer days.
It worked, and reportedly the frequency varied from
200MHz to the max of 2.4GHz (it's a P4 Xeon). Now
I wonder why it helped to reduce the temperature and
why the system reported different frequencies...

Thanks!

> Because of common misconceptions like this, the user interface has been removed.

/mjt