Re: marching through all physical memory in software

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Tue Jan 27 2009 - 15:16:58 EST

"Chris Friesen" <cfriesen@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 09:38:13 -0600
>> "Chris Friesen" <cfriesen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Someone is asking me about the feasability of "scrubbing" system
>>> memory by accessing each page and handling the ECC faults.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I would suggest that you look at the "edac" subsystem, which tries to
>> do exactly this....

> edac appears to currently be able to scrub the specific page where the fault
> occurred. This is a useful building block, but doesn't provide the ability to
> march through all of physical memory.

Well that is the tricky part. The rest is simply finding which physical
addresses are valid. Either by querying the memory controller or looking
at the range the BIOS gave us.

That part should not be too hard. I think it simply has not been implemented
yet as most ECC chipsets implement this in hardware today.

Eric