Re: Can't allocate resources for PCI video card behind bridge

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jan 13 2009 - 16:37:25 EST

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, Connor Behan wrote:

> I was about to say that the kernel where this worked once doesn't allow this
> to work again. I downgraded to 2.6.27 and got the same problem. But then I
> also downgraded udev, mkinitcpio, lilo, device-mapper, pciutils and hwdetect
> and reset the defaults on my BIOS and took out pci=assign-busses and then the
> card started working.

Ok, can you now try to upgrade just the kernel? IOW, it would be good to
try to figure out what it is that triggers this problem.

> dmesg: http://pastebin.com/m68dd0ce
> lspci: http://pastebin.com/m4c01d354

Yes, now I see a new bridge:

08:00.0 PCI bridge: PLX Technology, Inc. PEX8112 x1 Lane PCI Express-to-PCI Bridge (rev aa) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])

and behind this bridge is this:

09:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV505 [Radeon X1550 Series] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
09:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV505 [Radeon X1550 Series] (Secondary)

> It's quite a bit different from when I remember it working the other time. The
> errors on BARs 7, 8 and 9 still show up and the card is on bus 09.

Yup. It's all ok.

> However after I did this I updated all those packages to the newest
> versions except I did so one at a time not all at once. Now I'm up to
> date and still have this card working. So I'm sorry to bother you with
> this, the kernel does not need to be patched for this at all. It's
> either a BIOS problem or a distro problem caused by updating too many
> packages at once. Either way it's fixed now. Thanks alot.

Well, your dmesg is now from a 2.6.27 kernel, so I'd like to double-check
and verify that upgrading the kernel really works now. It does sound like
some non-kernel-related issue, but still..

Linus