Re: Can't allocate resources for PCI video card behind bridge

From: Connor Behan
Date: Tue Jan 13 2009 - 16:24:00 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
So those are the docking bridge resources, but if I understood correctly,
what you have issues with is that you want a graphics card in the dock to
work - and I can't even see it in the lspci output. I see this one:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

but that is the built-in laptop graphics. You say that you have another
graphics card that used to be at 02:00.0, but it's not showing up at ALL,
so this is more than some random resource allocation issue - this is a
device not even even being enumerated. That's very different - it implies
that some bridge isn't turned on at all.

Can you do the dmesg and lspci for the kernel where this works?

Linus
I was about to say that the kernel where this worked once doesn't allow this to work again. I downgraded to 2.6.27 and got the same problem. But then I also downgraded udev, mkinitcpio, lilo, device-mapper, pciutils and hwdetect and reset the defaults on my BIOS and took out pci=assign-busses and then the card started working.

dmesg: http://pastebin.com/m68dd0ce
lspci: http://pastebin.com/m4c01d354

It's quite a bit different from when I remember it working the other time. The errors on BARs 7, 8 and 9 still show up and the card is on bus 09. However after I did this I updated all those packages to the newest versions except I did so one at a time not all at once. Now I'm up to date and still have this card working. So I'm sorry to bother you with this, the kernel does not need to be patched for this at all. It's either a BIOS problem or a distro problem caused by updating too many packages at once. Either way it's fixed now. Thanks alot.