Re: Grsecurity is about to be discontinued, unless...

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Sat Jan 03 2009 - 19:28:52 EST

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009, Gabor MICSKO wrote:

> In short, I would like to know what is your answer to this request. And
> in the case if you see no chance for the integration, I would like to
> know what is the reason behind this decision.

I think that the main question here is -- what exact features are you
missing in the vanilla Linux kernel that grsecurity provides?

Over past months/years, vanilla kernel gained some of the features that
were initially present only in the PaX/grsecurity patchsets (address space
layout randomization for x86, to name the one that I have been involved
in myself).
Other things (roles? && access control stuff ) could be achieved by code
that is already present in the vanilla kernel (selinux, smack and
friends).

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina