Re: ath9k microwave anomaly

From: Folkert van Heusden
Date: Sat Jan 03 2009 - 14:52:51 EST

>> BTW, having any WiFi stopping working at 30 feet around a microwave oven
>> makes me think that beast is leaking like mad. I've already ran experiences
>> with mine in the past, and it could only slightly perturbate the traffic
>> within one meter (3 ft) which I already considered huge. You may want to
>> try to put some aluminium foil on the front door, it is possible that the
>> protection grid is damaged or not properly sealed.
>>
> great!!
> (should I build a cement barrier?);
> I had timeouts like this with the wireless phone
> (then went out a bought an encrypted phone for this purpose);

Since a few months my wifi connections dropped during the day and sometimes
at nights well. So I took my laptop with the WiSpy dongle and went for a
walk in the neighbourhood. Found out that outside there's fresh air that
feels really good to your nose and also that one of my neighbours has a
wireless security camera which he occasionally switches on during the day.
(weblog entry: http://vanheusden.com/misc/blog/2008-12-11-wifi.php ).

> now the microwave is causing the same issue.(silently though);
> like what I had mentioned, the microwave causes this when
> it's cold started, making wonder if the waves are better handled
> when the metal or grate is warm as opposed to cold.
> (molecules are jumping around as opposed to moving around);
> in any case as long as that microwave isn't active the internet
> connection seems O.K.(knock on wood);

There are devices with which you can measure the leakage of a micro-
wave (which should not be more than 50 watt per m^2 on a distance of
5 cm; read that at http://members.lycos.nl/return/mgnetron.htm ).
Iirc conrad.nl has these.

Folkert van Heusden

--
MultiTail is a versatile tool for watching logfiles and output of
commands. Filtering, coloring, merging, diff-view, etc.