Re: [PULL] cpumask tree

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Jan 02 2009 - 15:39:12 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jan 2009, Rusty Russell wrote:
> >
> > OK, this is the bulk of the conversion to the new cpumask operators.
> > The x86-specific parts (the most aggressive large-NR_CPUS arch) are
> > going via Ingo's tree.
>
> This gets lots of conflicts for me. Some of them look simple enough, but
> not all. io_apic.c gets lots of nasty conflicts, and it _looks_ like I
> should just pick the version of the file that I already have (because
> the only thing that comes in from that is yet another merge commit), but
> kernel/sched.c also gets conflicts in areas with FIXME's etc.
>
> Rusty, Ingo, can you work this out? I pushed out my current tree.

yes, we have those conflicts all resolved already in the second phase of
the tip/cpus4096 changes: Mike did all those difficult conflict
resolutions over the hollidays and i pulled it yesterday.

The end result looks nice as a tree but it is not fully cooked yet: since
i pulled yesterday i found a couple of build and runtime test failures
with Rusty's latest cpumask tree:

- architectures that have no __fls (8 out of 21) fail to build:

arch/cris
arch/frv
arch/h8300
arch/m32r
arch/m68k
arch/mn10300
arch/xtensa

- there's a new circular locking lockdep splat in CPU hotplug tests when
the var-cpumask code is enabled. (needs a handful of default-off
options enabled in the .config)

So i didnt want to push the second phase to you until those known bugs are
sorted out - i think we need some more time for that - a day or two at
most.

Linus, would you like to pull that, despite the pending regressions? Can
send a pull request right away.

Rusty, would it be fine with you if we did all the remaining bits via
tip/cpus4096? It's your tree and your bits and we wanted to send our
remaining bits after your tree went to Linus but the conflict resolutions
from Mike are valuable so i think we should reconsider the ordering.

All the commits you sent to Linus in this pull request are already
included in tip/cpus4096, the conflicts that Linus hit are all non-trivial
and Mike resolved them correctly and it merges cleanly with Linus's latest
tree:

earth4:~/tip> git pull
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rusty/linux-2.6-cpumask.git master
From git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rusty/linux-2.6-cpumask
* branch master -> FETCH_HEAD
Already up-to-date.

The pending diff is:

which is pretty OK and straightforward.

With that Rusty and Mike has done 99% of the cpumask conversions, so the
most difficult phase of the conversion should be dealt with in .29. Cool
stuff.

Ingo