Re: [Tux3] Tux3 report: A Golden Copy

From: Justin P. Mattock
Date: Fri Jan 02 2009 - 15:37:17 EST

Martin Steigerwald wrote:
Am Mittwoch 31 Dezember 2008 schrieb Justin P. Mattock:
Martin Steigerwald wrote:
Am Mittwoch 31 Dezember 2008 schrieb Justin P. Mattock:
Daniel Phillips wrote:
On Tuesday 30 December 2008 23:34, sniper wrote:
Great, I have mounted tux3 filesystem under UML with stuffs in
this mail, but I still can't debug it with gdb. Anyone gives me
suggestion?
You just have to give a "cont" command a bunch of times and you
will eventually get to a command prompt. The reason for this is,
uml uses the segfault interrupt as part of its machine simulation,
and there is no exsiting way for uml and gdb to communicate in such
a way that uml can recognize that the interrupt came from its own
code and filter it.
[...]

Hmm.. seems like a redundancy;
Anyways I looked at you're site, but am still
confused at what tux3 is: what is tux3?

(at first I thought it was a video game, but was wrong);
can I use tux3 to secure a linux system or is it for
something else?
Hmmm, I thought

Tux3 is a write-anywhere, atomic commit, btree-based versioning
filesystem. It is the spiritual and moral successor of Tux2, the most
famous filesystem that was never released. The main purpose of Tux3
is to embody Daniel Phillips's new ideas on storage data versioning.
The secondary goal is to provide a more efficient snapshotting and
replication method for the Zumastor NAS project, and a tertiary goal
is to be better than ZFS.
http://tux3.org/

was pretty clear. What are you missing?

Ciao,
I guess this is what is confusing to me:
atomic commit, btree-based versioning.

Ah, the buzz words. ;)

The tux3 mailing list contains quite some design notes about these concepts. I think others can give better answers about these concepts - I think I understood what it is for, not the implementation details. But basically "atomic commit" is a strategy to have the filesystem always in a consistent state and btree-based versioning allows to keep different versions of a file / directory around. And unlike other filesystem tux3 has this per inode and not for the complete filesystem. At least if I understand correctly.

But at least it should clear that tux3 is a filesystem and not a video game ;).

irregardless about how it's worded,
I'm wondering if I should use this mechanism,
or not.

Right now its still in heavy development and not of release quality. I.e. something to play around and test with if you want.

Ciao,
Yeah, my bad for thinking tux3 was a video game
(don't ask why); I need to get glasses!!
When I was told it was a filesystem it clicked.
As for the atomic commit Thanks for explanation.
(I honestly had no idea what that meant);
with test and playing around with this, I have
an old dell inspiron hanging around, when
I have the time I'll have to give it a try.
Do I have to wipe out the ext3 partition
on it, or is that O.K.

regards;

Justin P. Mattock