Re: > I even didn't have a backtrace.

From: Igor Podlesny
Date: Mon Dec 29 2008 - 07:52:46 EST

2008/12/29 Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Igor Podlesny wrote:
>>
>> BTW, I wonder -- can the kernel store crash related information (if
>> any) in RAM, at certain addresses, so it can survive warm reboot and
>> get displayed "in dmesg" on the next boot?
>
> Perhaps you are thinking of kdump - http://lwn.net/Articles/108595/ ?

Similar, but no exactly. I just thought that unlikely BIOS erases
memory content during "fast checks", so kernel diagnostic could be
left at certain addresses, probably duplicated for safety, and newly
booted kernel could check if there were something left for it in RAM.
That's simpler than kdump/kexec, the question is only whether memory
is really left intact during BIOS work, at least partly.

--
End of message. Next message?