Re: Regression - Re: 2.6.28-rc2: runaway loop modprobe char-major-5-1

From: Patrick McHardy
Date: Tue Nov 25 2008 - 06:13:18 EST

Kay Sievers wrote:
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 14:31, Patrick McHardy <kaber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Meelis Roos wrote:
Rerepeating, same userspace generats fine initramfs for 2.6.27 and the
initramfs contents are the same except modules tree that is for different
version.

It happens on 2 of my computers, both have custom config (serial compiled
in, not modular). The hang happens before ttyS driver initialization.
char-major-5-1 is /dev/console here.

Seems like a kernel regression to me.
It does, I changed some configuration options from =m to =y and
it started working again. Unfortunately I'm unable to find the
exact option that fixed it since I don't have the previous
configuration anymore and random attempts to trigger the problem
again failed.

Maybe you just miss /dev/console in initramfs? That would trigger the
kernel forked modprobe with that major/minor.

Some device nodes must be created or included in initramfs before any
action is taken.

No, the image is fine. As I said, changing the config fixed the problem.