Re: Is the change to IDE probing really necessary?

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Tue Nov 25 2008 - 02:22:18 EST

[.. ]

> > And the probing _is_ done when loaded as a module so the problem is
> > not with the mask - in your case the probing will work just fine as
> > you need ide0 and ide1, AFAICT.
>
> Out of curiousity, I loaded ide-generic as a module and tried the suggested
> probe_mask. It loads after e100 which is built in and then has a crap attack
> as it tries to register IO regions which are already registered, triggers
> sysfs warnings for creating duplicate files and then continues along to
> a state where networking doesn't work anyway. That suggestion of 0x3f may
> still catch someone.

Yep, the message could be misleading wrt to the probe_mask. Is something
along the lines of

"please adjust the probe_mask module parameter for probing the rest of the
legacy ISA IDE ports"

more informative? Now it implies that the primary/secondary ports are
probed by default.

However, you still have to set it to something > 0x3 if you want to
probe ide[2-5]. Also, there's still the option of CONFIG_BLK_DEV_GENERIC
which adds support for otherwise unsupported IDE PCI controllers.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.