Re: [RFC,v2] x86_64: save_args out of line

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Tue Nov 18 2008 - 18:26:35 EST

> I don't think auto-generation is very a useful angle to take for this any
> time soon. Explicit (but simple) macros in the assembly is what I favor.

Do you mean macros that generate both the instruction and the CFI
or separate? The major disadvantage of doing it together in a
single macro is that it is not really readable for any assembler
programmer anymore, but starts becoming a Linux specific assembler
language. Likely not a good thing for maintenance. anyone who
wants to know the real assembler would need to read objdump -S
output, which is not nice.

Perhaps it would be a reasonable readability improvement to just use shorter
cfi macros which are not shouted?

-Andi