Re: Developing non-commercial drivers ?

From: Xavier Bestel
Date: Tue Nov 18 2008 - 12:18:46 EST

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 17:52 +0100, Fredrik Markström wrote:
> Thanks for the prompt respons.
>
> I do agree that it would be better for everyone to release it under
> GPL and I have already expressed that to our customer.
>
> At this point I feel that we have two possibilities, help our customer
> violate GPL or say no to the project. I'd prefer a third option where
> I could tell the customer that we can setup the project in a certain
> way (some "cleanroom" setup ?) to ensure that the results can not be
> considered derived work.
>
> Is your short answer also the definite answer considering this ?

Why not distributing the driver to your client under the same licence
terms as the kernel (i.e. GPLv2, tell him you're legally tied to it),
and then let your client handle distribution to the end-user the way it
sees fit ?
That way you come out clean, and your client gets to resolve the
eventual legal troubles himself.

Xav