Re: Developing non-commercial drivers ?

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Tue Nov 18 2008 - 12:04:33 EST

Fredrik Markström wrote:
Thanks for the prompt respons.

I do agree that it would be better for everyone to release it under
GPL and I have already expressed that to our customer.

At this point I feel that we have two possibilities, help our customer
violate GPL or say no to the project. I'd prefer a third option where
I could tell the customer that we can setup the project in a certain
way (some "cleanroom" setup ?) to ensure that the results can not be
considered derived work.

The problem is that if it's coded specifically for Linux it's pretty much inherently a derived work. Things like the NVIDIA binary graphics driver, the old Atheros madwifi HAL stuff, etc. are on a little more solid ground as their binary part is theoretically OS-independent and there's an open-source shim layer to interface to the kernel, but some would say even they are taking some legal risk.

Is your short answer also the definite answer considering this ?

I don't think anyone on this list is a lawyer, and since this is a legal question, legal advice would be what I would suggest you and/or this company should have before considering going down the non-GPL driver road. The risk is mainly that a kernel contributor (or one of their employers like IBM, Red Hat, etc.) could sue them for violating the GPL.

/Fredrik