Re: File as generic block-device?

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Wed Oct 22 2008 - 09:30:48 EST

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Simen Thoresen wrote:
> I have a project where I require to treat a file as a block-device
> (specifically, I want a file on an ext3 fs to act as one of the raid-members
> in a md-based stripe-set. I know that I can make a /filesystem/ on a file
> because both mkfs and mount (with -o loop) will accept a file as a
> block-device, but I have found no such function for mdadm, and am thus asking
> for a kernel-internal way to re-plug a file into the block-device layer.
>
> Is this possible?

Sure! You just have to create the loop device (/dev/loop*) yourself using
losetup(8). `mount -o loop' does it itself behind your back.

With kind regards,

Geert Uytterhoeven
Software Architect

Sony Techsoft Centre Europe
The Corporate Village  Da Vincilaan 7-D1  B-1935 Zaventem  Belgium

Phone: +32 (0)2 700 8453
Fax: +32 (0)2 700 8622
E-mail: Geert.Uytterhoeven@xxxxxxxxxxx
Internet: http://www.sony-europe.com/

A division of Sony Europe (Belgium) N.V.
VAT BE 0413.825.160 Â RPR Brussels
Fortis  BIC GEBABEBB  IBAN BE41293037680010