File as generic block-device?

From: Simen Thoresen
Date: Wed Oct 22 2008 - 09:19:49 EST

Hi all,

I have a project where I require to treat a file as a block-device (specifically, I want a file on an ext3 fs to act as one of the raid-members in a md-based stripe-set. I know that I can make a /filesystem/ on a file because both mkfs and mount (with -o loop) will accept a file as a block-device, but I have found no such function for mdadm, and am thus asking for a kernel-internal way to re-plug a file into the block-device layer.

Is this possible?

My current platform i CentOS5, a RHEL5 rebuild (modified 2.6.18-kernel).

-S
--
Simen Thoresen - Dolphin ICS Systems Administrator