Re: How do I self diagnose slow write to HDD performance issue

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Tue Oct 21 2008 - 23:07:41 EST

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:34:01 CDT, Jonathan Johnson said:

> Before I setup the array I tested the SATA 2 drives connected to the mobo SATA connect and got approx 60mb/s
> write and even better read speeds per drive.

Remember that streaming read/write speed is usually only a small part of the
total disk performance story. Sure, if you don't have to move the heads much,
you can go 60 megabytes/sec. However, even the *hottest* drives out there
have a hard time sustaining 200 seeks per second.

In other words, every time you have to move the heads, it costs you 300Kbytes/sec
of throughput (1/200th of that 60M).

And bonnie++ probably moves the heads a lot.

To *add* insult to injury, if you're running in RAID6 mode, each time you write
to the RAID set, it has to do *several* I/Os to do all the parity computations.
So you take a 300K hit for each of those I/Os.

There's a *reason* why RAID1 is still used - you can (assuming a smart enough
controller) launch both the write and the mirroring write at the same time in
parallel, taking little or no performance penalty.