Re: Best method for sending messages to user space?

From: Dan Williams
Date: Tue Oct 21 2008 - 16:16:22 EST

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Timur Tabi <timur@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dan Williams wrote:
>
>> I really like the sysfs_notify() approach that Neil Brown has put
>> together for delivering md-raid events.
>
> Is there any documentation for sysfs_notify? It doesn't appear to do anything
> whenever I call it.

It simply allows you to write an event loop in userspace using a sysfs
attribute file descriptor. Pseudo-example:

fd = open("/sys/block/md0/md/array_state");
do {
read(buf, fd, len);
act_on_message(buf);
select(...); /* wait for next sysfs_notify event */
lseek(fd, 0, SEEK_SET); /* seek back so we can read the new state */
} while (1);