Re: Best method for sending messages to user space?

From: Dan Williams
Date: Tue Oct 21 2008 - 14:14:19 EST

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Timur Tabi <timur@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a driver that provides services for a hypervisor that my company is
> creating. The hypervisor can send notifications to the driver via interrupts.
> I want to send a message to user space whenever the driver receives one of the
> interrupts. The messages don't have any payload.
>
> Should I be creating kobjects and using kobject_uevent(..., KOBJ_CHANGE) to send
> these messages? I want to take advantage of the standard (hotplug?) user-space
> interface for this sort of thing, so that I don't need to have a custom-written
> daemon running that waits on blocking ioctl calls.

I really like the sysfs_notify() approach that Neil Brown has put
together for delivering md-raid events. Now with 2.6.28 you will be
able do this from an atomic context with sysfs_notify_dirent() [1].

--
Dan

[1] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=f1282c84