Best method for sending messages to user space?

From: Timur Tabi
Date: Tue Oct 21 2008 - 13:54:24 EST

I have a driver that provides services for a hypervisor that my company is
creating. The hypervisor can send notifications to the driver via interrupts.
I want to send a message to user space whenever the driver receives one of the
interrupts. The messages don't have any payload.

Should I be creating kobjects and using kobject_uevent(..., KOBJ_CHANGE) to send
these messages? I want to take advantage of the standard (hotplug?) user-space
interface for this sort of thing, so that I don't need to have a custom-written
daemon running that waits on blocking ioctl calls.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale