Re: [TOMOYO #11 (linux-next) 01/11] Introduce new LSM hooks wherevfsmount is available.

From: Shaya Potter
Date: Mon Oct 20 2008 - 09:02:19 EST

Kentaro Takeda wrote:
----- What is this patch for? -----

There are security_inode_*() LSM hooks for attribute-based MAC, but they are not
suitable for pathname-based MAC because they don't receive "struct vfsmount"
information.

----- How this patch was developed? -----

Two pathname-based MACs, AppArmor and TOMOYO Linux, are trying to merge
upstream. But because of "struct vfsmount" problem, they have been unable to
e> merge upstream.

Here are the list of approaches and the reasons of denial.

I know I'm late to the game in this, but as I recently asked about this and didn't get an answer, I'll re-ask my approach.

Why can't you do this

in lookup()

- resolve rules (not for single process, but for all processes) for said path and tag dentry (seem to already have a hook)

in permission()

- check tag based on current security context

in rename(),....

- drop dentry tag and force a lookup next time its used (invalidate dentry)

you then don't have to jump through hoops to handle things like symbolic links as they are handled implicitly.

the only place I can see this approach "failing" (as in different semantics than your approach) is

- hard links within a single namespace and bind mounts shared between namespaces (in that different rules would be resolved for different path names for the same file).

But from a security perspective, both would seem like a very bad idea in general that one would ant to prevent. or to rephrase, why would you want to allow that? What's the benefit in allowing that?