Re: io resources and cached mappings (was: [git pull] drm patchesfor 2.6.27-rc1)

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Oct 20 2008 - 07:56:17 EST

* Eric Anholt <eric@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > The APIs would be:
> >
> > int io_resource_init_mapping(struct resource *res);
> > void io_resource_free_mapping(struct resource *res);
> > void * io_resource_map(struct resource *res, pfn_t pfn, unsigned long offset);
> > void io_resource_unmap(struct resource *res, void *kaddr);
> >
> > Note how simple and consistent it all gets: IO resources already
> > know their physical location and their size limits. Being able to
> > cache an ioremap in a mapping [and being able to use atomic kmaps on
> > 32-bit] is a relatively simple and natural extension to the concept.
> >
> > i think that would be quite acceptable - and the APIs could just
> > transparently work on it. This would also allow the PCI code to
> > automatically unmap any cached mappings from resources, when the
> > driver deinitializes.
> >
> > Linus, Jesse, what do you think?
> >
> > i think we need to finalize the API names and their abstraction
> > level, and then could even merge those APIs into v2.6.28 on a fast
> > path, to enable you to use it. It does not interact with anything
> > else so it should be safe to do.
>
> This API needs the cacheability control, which I don't see in it
> currently. [...]

yes, these two should do the trick:

int io_resource_init_mapping_wc(struct resource *res);
int io_resource_init_mapping_wb(struct resource *res);

> Second, we need to know when we're doing a mapping whether we're
> affected by atomic scheduling restrictions. Right now our plan has
> been to try doing page-by-page
> io_map_atomic_wc()/copy_from_user_inatomic()/io_unmap_atomic(), and if
> we fail at that at some point (map returns NULL or we get a partial
> completion from copy_from_user_inatomic) then fall back to io_map_wc()
> and copy_from_user() the whole thing at once. That gets us good
> performance on both x86 with highmem and x86-64, and not too shabby
> performance on x86 non-highmem.

that gets ugly very fast. I think we should not use atomic kmaps but
NR_CPUS _fixmaps_ with a per CPU array of mutexes (this is basically
atomic kmaps but without the preemption restrictions). We could
take/drop the mutex and statistically you'll stay on the same CPU and
wont ever contend on that lock in practice.

> Also, while it's rare, there have been graphics cards (looking at you,
> S3) where BARs were expensive for some reason and they stuffed both
> the framebuffer and registers into one PCI BAR, where you want the FB
> to be WC and the registers to be UC. Not sure if they would be
> supportable with this API or not. And if it's not, I'm not sure how
> much we care to design for them, but it's something to potentially
> consider.

yes, this is a weakness of this API - you cannot mix multiple
cachability domains within the same BAR.

and that can happen on non-graphics as well: some storage controller
that has regular control registers in one portion of the BAR, which all
need to be consistently accessed via UC and properly POST-ed - while it
could also have some large mailbox structure at the end of the BAR,
which could be mapped both cacheable or perhaps WC.

So ... i guess we can go back to the io_mapping API proposed by Keith,
but not make it atomic kmap based but fixmap + mutex based - for good
32-bit performance. (and the fixmap would not be used on 64-bit at all)

> Finally, I'm confused by the pfn and offset args to io_resource_map,
> when I expected something parallel to ioremap but with our resource
> arg added.

ok.

Ingo