Re: GIT head no longer boots on x86-64

From: Jiri Slaby
Date: Wed Oct 15 2008 - 11:34:01 EST

On 10/15/2008 05:06 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>> Queued the fix below up in tip/x86/urgent for a merge to Linus later
>> today. Thanks!
>
> Please don't send this crap to me.
>
> Guys, _look_ at the patch for one second. And then tell me it isn't crap.

Not in my eyes.

> The question is: "Is this a vmalloc'ed area?". That's the name of the
> function. AND YOU JUST BROKE IT!

Modules area is vmalloc'ed on x86; on x86_64 only in different virtual address
space area. So returning true from is_vmalloc_addr() for this space looks very
sane to me, as it was on x86_32 for years.

Users usually do
is_vmalloc_addr(a) ? vfree(a) : kfree(a);
Even there it makes more sense to me.

However I'm fine with introducing is_module_addr() alike function for x86 to
check the general modules space bounds on x86_64 and return is_vmalloc_addr() on
x86_32. Does this look better?