Re: Building a tracing userspace tool in the kernel tree

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Thu Oct 09 2008 - 19:11:53 EST

Peter Zijlstra wrote:
On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 16:35 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
Peter Zijlstra wrote:
On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 15:16 -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:

At the kernel summit, people seemed to be interested to have the basic
userspace tools required to extract and pretty-print a trace available
within the kernel tree. Therefore, what I am trying to do is something
along the lines of

ltt/usr/
ltt/usr/tracectl/ (control tracing)
ltt/usr/tracesplice/ (splice buffers to disk)
ltt/usr/tracecat/ (merge sort and format the binary buffers into
human-readable text)

I'd rather have you provide that interface from the kernel much like
ftrace does. So we can do:

# cat /debug/tracing/lttng/trace

Do we really want to reserve memory in the kernel to store all the data? Assuming not, do we really want to have to deal with filesystem namespaces in the kernel when interpreting which file we want to log to?

Not quite sure I get what you mean here. The kernel already needs the
memory anyway, as we keep the trace buffers in memory in either case.

All this does is provide a debugfs interface that does the exact same
thing the tracecat proglet would otherwise do.

I don't know how filesystem namespaces and debugfs interact, but seeing
as non of the debugfs users seem to be bothered with that, I don't see
why we should be.

Maybe I misunderstood something. I was under the impression that the standard LTT usage is to stream raw trace data to disk and then post-process it. If we're writing to disk, we should probably think about filesystem namespaces.

Chris