Re: Building a tracing userspace tool in the kernel tree

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Thu Oct 09 2008 - 18:41:27 EST

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 16:35 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
> Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 15:16 -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> >
> >>Hi Sam,
> >>
> >>At the kernel summit, people seemed to be interested to have the basic
> >>userspace tools required to extract and pretty-print a trace available
> >>within the kernel tree. Therefore, what I am trying to do is something
> >>along the lines of
> >>
> >>ltt/usr/
> >>ltt/usr/tracectl/ (control tracing)
> >>ltt/usr/tracesplice/ (splice buffers to disk)
> >>ltt/usr/tracecat/ (merge sort and format the binary buffers into
> >> human-readable text)
> >

> > I'd rather have you provide that interface from the kernel much like
> > ftrace does. So we can do:
> >
> > # cat /debug/tracing/lttng/trace
> >

> Do we really want to reserve memory in the kernel to store all the data?
> Assuming not, do we really want to have to deal with filesystem
> namespaces in the kernel when interpreting which file we want to log to?

Not quite sure I get what you mean here. The kernel already needs the
memory anyway, as we keep the trace buffers in memory in either case.

All this does is provide a debugfs interface that does the exact same
thing the tracecat proglet would otherwise do.

I don't know how filesystem namespaces and debugfs interact, but seeing
as non of the debugfs users seem to be bothered with that, I don't see
why we should be.