Re: ACPI PnP on Intel MU440EX

From: Bjorn Helgaas
Date: Tue Sep 09 2008 - 12:34:58 EST

On Sunday 31 August 2008 07:22:52 am Martin Doucha wrote:
> I have trouble with ACPI PnP on one of my machines (Intel MU440EX
> motherboard made in '98). ACPI PnP doesn't detect built-in parallel port
> (PNPBIOS does and the port works because I use it to print regularly). I
> know that I can turn ACPI PnP off by editing .config or using
> pnpacpi=off boot parameter. I just want to report this problem before
> PNPBIOS support is dropped (as written in kernel docs).

Thanks very much for the report. This sounds like it could be a
PNPACPI issue, which I am very interested in fixing.

Can you please turn on CONFIG_PNP_DEBUG in your .config and collect
the complete dmesg log with and without "pnpacpi=off"?

I do have an "lspnp" that works with PNPACPI here:
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/helgaas/pnputils-0.1.tar.bz2
but it's not widely used. The debug information from the config
option above is usually more useful.

Bjorn