Re: [smartmontools-support] exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0action 0x2 frozen

From: Jonas Petersson
Date: Sun Sep 07 2008 - 16:49:15 EST

For the record:

Jonas Petersson wrote:
Owen Martin wrote:
> This looks like a timeout during a read command:
>
> ata3.00: cmd c8/00:08:90:3c:59
>
> Read dma of 8 blocks from 0x903c59
>
> Next time it happens, see if it is the same LBA. Since the drive came
> back after the bus reset makes me think it was probably in error
> recovery for an extended amount of time.

Sounds like a good idea. However, I had the drive swapped yesterday and have now reinstalled on a (seemingly) identical one which so far seems to be free from these messages. Hence, I keep my fingers crossed that this was indeed a hw error.
> [...]

I've now stressed the new disk for almost a week and seen no indication at all to the previous error. Everything else is the same as before - I even installed from the very same DVD. My conclusion is therefore that I really had a disk that was broken in a way that normal tests will not detect.

Hence, my tip to anyone having a similar experience: Don't blame the driver, nor the motherboard/chipset - just replace the drive. It would of course be even nicer if the error message could spell this out somewhat clearer too, but I guess the "I/O error" in the middle is a fair hint in retrospect.

Best / Jonas