Re: [smartmontools-support] exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0action 0x2 frozen

From: Jonas Petersson
Date: Tue Sep 02 2008 - 11:49:41 EST

Hi Owen,

Owen Martin wrote:
> This looks like a timeout during a read command:
>
> ata3.00: cmd c8/00:08:90:3c:59
>
> Read dma of 8 blocks from 0x903c59
>
> Next time it happens, see if it is the same LBA. Since the drive came
> back after the bus reset makes me think it was probably in error
> recovery for an extended amount of time.

Sounds like a good idea. However, I had the drive swapped yesterday and have now reinstalled on a (seemingly) identical one which so far seems to be free from these messages. Hence, I keep my fingers crossed that this was indeed a hw error.

As it was on warranty I was not allowed to keep the bad drive for further experiments.

> Sorry, but I am new to using smartmontools for decoding SMART
> attributes. Your previous email showed:
>
> Device is: Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
>
> Does that imply the tool will not know the exact meaning of all the
> attributes? I am not familiar with Fujitsu's implementation.

I believe you are correct.

>>From the data you sent about the attributes before, it looks like the
> pending and reallocated sector counts are zero, so the block must have
> not failed recovery. Can you try to dump the sector using hdparm-8.9 to
> see if it reproduces?
>
> hdparm --read-sector 9452633 /dev/sda

Would if I could... The messages I sent were indeed only from cases where the driver succeeded write to the disk in the end (extracts from /var/log/messages). In the failure cases I did not make a hard copy.

> What is the timeout set to?
>
> cat /sys/block/sda/device/timeout

30

> Maybe try to increase that. You want to be sure that it is not a drive
> issue by verifying the block is readable and the raw values from the
> pending, uncorrectable or reallocated sector attributes don't change.

Will do if I ever see it again.

Best / Jonas