Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 14:34:11 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:
Can't you see that changing build processes takes time? Fixing driver disk
creation tools take time? Validating that each driver is packaged with its
correct firmware takes time?

Umm. Can't you see that if we don't start doing it, it will never get done AT ALL?

Yes, this will take time.

Which, by implication, means that userland is not -already- prepared.

Which means that if you don't have a recent userland of a mainstream distro, the result is non-working drivers.

Which is the type of regression I thought we did not want.

But that's not an argument for not merging it. Quite the reverse.

This is not an either/or proposition, and that is what you are missing.

The change should go in _while at the same time_ not creating regressions.

The change is not the problem.

That the change exists without the ability to recreate similar outputs (i.e. firmware in module) is the problem.

Jeff