Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 14:20:51 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:
Already addressed -- you and David seem to be ignoring the common case where
you may update the driver but not the kernel, making that feature far less
useful than it appears.

This is the "I'm too stupid to live" argument. I've already answered that. What's so hard with "make firmware_install"?

So hard that several kernel hackers wound up with non-working drivers (read the pre-push bug reports).

Which is why 'make modules_install' installs the firmware, or at least it did before David W pushed upstream.

That was a key build process regression fix (thanks David!).

Sorry Linus, the end change is a good idea, but you cannot hand-wave away breakage just by calling people stupid.

Jeff