Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 14:25:25 EST

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Frans Pop wrote:
> > > If I were able to compile firmware into the modules, the problem would be
> > > solved in one go.
> >
> > And this thread would have been shorter, even. I hope someone decides to
> > write that support instead of complaining ;-)
>
> I've volunteered -- but if Linus and David will reject my code out of hand,
> there is not much point in writing it.

Quite frankly, I don't think it's something to reject out of hand, but it
does sound pretty damn stupid.

Why compile them into the module, when that's just the _inflexible_ model?

Why not just install them with the module (perhaps in the module
directory, perhaps not), and just load them?

Really. You _do_ have do to "make modules_install" or similar. That has
_already_ got inter-file dependencies (ie some modules simply depend on
other modules). I'm not seeing why you cannot accept change.

Linus