Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 14:15:18 EST

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Frans Pop wrote:
If I were able to compile firmware into the modules, the problem would be solved in one go.

And this thread would have been shorter, even. I hope someone decides to
write that support instead of complaining ;-)

I've volunteered -- but if Linus and David will reject my code out of hand, there is not much point in writing it.

[2] As one of the developers for Debian Installer I'm not looking forward to the complications that is going to cause for us and users.

That was my point. These firmware loading changes are good, but there is a
lot of crap missing (most of it NOT in the kernel) before it can be exposed
to ordinary users.

100% agreed.

That's the point I've been trying to make all along.

The end goal is good, but it's not at all ready for normal users.

And without firmware-in-the-module support (which is the ONLY scenario where
the entire userspace will not notice anything different), this WILL cause
problem to distros, we will need to scramble up and fix it all before we can
package 2.6.26. I don't know if this is a big problem, though. The work
will need to be done sooner or later anyway, and we should have enough time
to do so as long as we don't care for packaging the early -rc.

Agreed.

Jeff