Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 01:38:30 EST

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:32:10PM -0700, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 07:06 +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > This is just a matter of point of view. From my POV, having to feed
> > several unrelated files into a system to be able to get it to support
> > any device is moving backwards, compared to the currently clean
> > all-in-1 driver model.
>
> So you disapprove of having to load mac80211.ko before your wireless NIC
> driver?

for this one, I don't know, as it is typically something which might
be installed without me noticing.

> Or sungem_phy.ko before sungem.ko?

that one might be more annoying, however, having the same name and being
in the same directory as its brother makes it quite obvious. The ones
which had already caught me were mii, crc32, etc...

> Or libphy.ko before various other drivers?

cf above.

> Or having to install /sbin/modprobe before you can load modules?

David, please do not exagerate. I hoped you were able to see the
difference between being lazy and encountering difficulties to
set up a system.

Willy